Pro Bono Services
We represent clients on a pro bono basis on a wide spectrum of real estate matters, including purchases and sales of property, leases, financing, and landlord-tenant disputes. Our pro bono clients include individuals and not-for-profit organizations. As a result of these efforts, we have helped Jenner & Block achieve the ranking of the number one law firm in the country for pro bono service in The American Lawyer magazine’s annual pro bono rankings. The Firm’s long-standing tradition of providing legal services to those without the resources to pay for them has been recognized by The American Lawyer as one of the top ten pro bono programs in the country every year since 1990 and we have ranked number one in the country seven times – in 2015, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008 and 1999.
Representative pro bono engagements include the following:
Representation of the Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana in connection with the preparation and negotiation of the design and construction contracts for the Girl Scouts’ new dining hall being constructed at Camp Juniper Knoll in East Troy, Wisconsin.
Representation of the Jesse White Foundation in connection with the financing, development and construction of the Jesse White Community Center and Field House on Chicago’s near north side. The representation included drafting and negotiating all design and construction contracts; negotiating a complex donation agreement with the Chicago Park District, and negotiating loan documents, and an Occupancy and Use Agreement between the Jesse White Foundation and the Chicago Park District.
- Representation of Thresholds in developing a program to acquire existing unsold condominium units to serve as affordable housing for disabled individuals and former nursing home residents.
- Representation of the Catholic Theological Union in the sale of dormitory buildings for redevelopment.
- Representation of Metropolitan Family Services in amending a lease of a Chicago-area facility.
- Representation of a nonprofit organization in leasing a property in Chicago and selling another property.
- Representation of Rimland Services, an Illinois not-for-profit, in the acquisition of foreclosed properties through the federally funded Neighborhood Stabilization Program.Representation of the Menomonee Club in obtaining a special-use permit for the use of property as a community center.
- Representation of the Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago in various real estate related matters, including negotiating an architect’s agreement and related construction documents.
- Representation of Chicago’s Lyric Opera in connection with a redevelopment agreement and construction contract.
- Representation of West Suburban PADS in documenting an agreement regarding a grant relating to homeless services in Oak Park, Illinois.