Jenner & Block has extensive experience representing US and overseas clients in international and cross-border business transactions in the aerospace and defense, cannabis, chemicals, life sciences, food and beverage, manufacturing, transportation and logistics, telecommunications, and many other industries. Our lawyers have deep experience in crafting strategies and guiding transactions to successful outcomes, and providing clear, informed, and practical advice on cross-border transactions. We regularly represent public and private companies of all sizes, private equity investors, special committees, financial advisors, and other parties in all types of cross-border activities, including acquisitions, divestitures, investments, joint ventures, complex commercial transactions, corporate venture capital transactions, spin-offs, MBOs, LBOs, going-private transactions, equity and debt transactions, and credit facilities. We provide clients with the right blend of transactional experience, industry insight, and unwavering commitment to client service. We are focused on driving the strategic objectives of our clients and providing valuable counsel. We work seamlessly with overseas counsel to coordinate with respect to the negotiation, closing and other aspects of transactions. The corporate team is supported by our broad and deep transactional practices, including antitrust (HSR) and foreign investment (CFIUS) experts.
- Represented Lonza Group Ltd. in its $5.5 billion acquisition of Capsugel, a Belgian corporation with operations in 18 countries, from KKR; $1.2 billion acquisition of Arch Chemicals; $630 million carve-out and sale of its Water Care business, across multiple jurisdictions (operations spanned North and South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia) to Platinum Equity; acquisition of a controlling stake in Octane Biotech, a Canadian biotech company; and various corporate venture capital transactions and related strategic commercial transactions.
- Represented Cresco Labs, Inc. in its CAN$2.2 billion reverse takeover transaction and public listing on the Canadian Securities Exchange.
- Represented FUJIFILM in its $800 million acquisition of Irvine Scientific, a global life sciences company and medical media provider.
- Represented Hyundai Motors Group (HMG) in their agreement with Aptiv Technologies to form an autonomous vehicle joint venture valued at $4 billion.
- Represented a Japanese debt investor in taking as collateral for a financing in Japan an interest in intangible rights pertaining to contracts with US companies.
- Represented Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha, Ltd. (K-Line) in a sell side M&A transaction (related to the disposition of certain port operations).
- Represented Kyocera Corporation in a cross-border deal to acquire SouthernCarlson, Inc. from Kelso & Company, and its acquisition of Senco Holdings, Inc. from Wynnchurch Capital and other shareholders.
- Represented Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings America, Inc. in its acquisition of a confidential US entity.
- Represented Nippon Express in an M&A transaction (in the logistics space) on the buy side, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented Otsuka Pharmaceutical in its $200 million acquisition of the Busulfex assets from PDL BioPharma and its acquisition of Interpharma Praha, a.s., a Czech Republic-based pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Represented Papillion Resources Ltd. in its $570 million sale to B2Gold Corp.
- Represented Richmont Mines Inc. in its $770 million sale to Alamos Gold Inc.
- Represented Silgan Holdings Inc. in its 900 million acquisition of the dispensing business of Albea in France, the Netherlands, Spain, China, Brazil and the US; in its $1.025 billion acquisition of the dispensing systems business of WestRock Company, a business with 13 manufacturing plants in North America, Europe, South America and Asia; its $290 million acquisition of the metal container operations of Vogel & Noot Holding AG in Central and Eastern Europe; and $280 million acquisition of Amcor Limited’s closures business in Europe, Asia and South America.
- Represented the New York Branch of Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank in connection with (i) structured finance transactions involving Akebono Brake, BNP, Barclays PLC, HSBC, and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and (ii) real estate lending transactions involving Cornerstone.
- Represented Takeda Pharmaceutical in a multi-billion dollar transaction with Abbott Laboratories to conclude their long-standing TAP Pharmaceutical Products Inc. joint venture.
- Served as local counsel in the US to THK Co. Ltd. in its $400 million acquisition of the linkage and suspension business of TRW Automotive Inc.
- Represented Tokyo Century Corporation in connection with US joint venture transactions.
- Represented Tsubakimoto Chain Co. in its acquisition of a confidential US company.
- Represented Zijin Mining Group Co. in its $1.25 billion acquisition of Nevsun Resources Ltd.