Human Rights and Global Strategy
Jenner & Block’s Human Rights and Global Strategy Practice advises some of the world’s most sophisticated companies and other clients on complex global challenges, multifaceted international disputes, and fights to advance fundamental rights. Our lawyers bring unmatched experience, credibility, and a values-driven commitment to addressing the toughest threats to human dignity. We have a unique track-record helping clients solve complex transnational crises involving existential threats to businesses, brands, and reputations. We help clients act as agents for change on diverse topics ranging from corruption, technology and freedom of expression, supply chain standards, modern slavery, rule of law, environmental justice and compliance, indigenous rights, and human trafficking. We also pursue cutting-edge litigation to advance justice and vindicate the rights of the vulnerable and abused.
- Litigation – using courts around the world to hold perpetrators accountable and advance the dignity and rights of individuals. We bring particular experience at the intersection of human rights and national security.
- Compliance and Investigations – advising global companies on managing risk worldwide, and especially in jurisdictions creating high levels of exposure, including conducting global reviews of policies, partnerships, supply chains, and corporate systems to mitigate risk.
- Crisis Management – helping companies respond quickly and strategically when an issue comes to light, conscious that an organization may face numerous existential threats at once. In addition to legal challenges, these may encompass regulatory scrutiny, investor and employee scrutiny, and reputational damage.
- Disputes with Governments – working with clients – including individuals, foreign governments, and private entities – to navigate transnational disputes ranging from situations involving hostage negotiations to addressing public corruption as well as redress through civil litigation for government wrongdoing.
- Representation in International Fora – helping companies and individuals, as well as sovereign states, navigate the multilateral mechanisms and ad hoc tribunals including the Inter-American Court on Human Rights, the European Court of Justice, the International Court of Justice, the UN Human Rights Council and its various Special Procedures, judicial and quasi-judicial fora, sanctions panels, and international negotiations. We have also successfully served as counsel to both sovereign states and claimants in disputes under the rules of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes, the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law.
- Global Strategy Development – helping clients devise holistic strategies to develop global norms that are rational and effective. For example, our lawyers have experience working with the UN Business and Human Rights Forum to assist in developing industry-specific normative expectations for companies.