Developments in financial technology (FinTech) have precipitated dramatic changes in the financial industry, in areas as diverse as lending, wealth management, payments, trading and insurance. Those changes bring opportunities and challenges for new and established companies, as do the legal and regulatory changes to the environment in which FinTech companies do business.
Our forward-thinking team combines insights learned through years of government service (DOJ, CFPB, SEC) with years of experience representing companies in their most challenging matters to deliver the breadth and depth of sophisticated legal services required to navigate this evolving and fast-paced industry. Our lawyers represent payment companies; lenders; mortgage brokers; trading technology firms; and other FinTech companies on an array of issues core to their business. Leveraging our industry knowledge and significant capabilities, we assist clients in a variety of areas, including:
- Compliance and Controls. Our clients call on our sophisticated knowledge of compliance and control processes – including for anti-money laundering, sanctions and KYC. We assist in designing control systems, reviewing and testing them or advising on what to do when something goes wrong.
- Data Security. We advise on cybersecurity and data privacy requirements, on the permissible handling of customer data and on how to best prevent and respond to data security issues, including data breaches.
- Trade Secrets and IP Protection. Our lawyers design programs to protect our clients’ intellectual property and trade secrets and take the necessary measures when IP is misused. We also have a nationally recognized trademark and copyright protection practice and defend against employee IP theft.
- Insurance Coverage. We help clients maximize insurance protections and recoveries, including for directors and officers exposures, data breaches, cryptocurrencies and professional services claims, and litigate our clients’ most important insurance coverage disputes in every type of forum.
- Dispute and Controversy Resolution. FinTech companies operate in a competitive environment with quickly-evolving regulation and often under intense public scrutiny. Our 100-year tradition of helping clients with their most complex matters makes us a must-call firm for navigating potential litigation and controversies.
- Government Inquiries and Investigations. We have a deep bench of sophisticated counsel that clients call upon when government regulatory bodies come knocking (or before they do so). Our lawyers handle government inquiries, from the US Department of Justice, Securities Exchange Commission, UK Financial Conduct Authority and Serious Fraud Office, to the Consumer Fraud Protection Bureau and state regulators.
- Corporate and Transactional. Our experienced corporate lawyers assist our clients, large and small, in structuring their corporate affairs, documenting commercial relationships, raising capital, entering into joint ventures and other matters.
If you would like to be added to our distribution list for a weekly curation of FinTech articles, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.