Enforcement Defense and Administrative Litigation
Jenner & Block’s aerospace and aviation lawyers have extensive experience representing airlines, manufacturers, and other certificate holders in defending and appealing enforcement actions. Our work includes defending DOT and FAA investigations and enforcement actions, negotiating reasonable settlements in multi-million dollar civil penalty cases, and finding creative ways to help clients avoid penalties entirely.
Enforcement actions in which we have successfully represented certificated entities include the following:
- Matters involving violations of safety regulations;
- Airspace deviations;
- Maintenance errors;
- Product non-conformances;
- Allegedly fraudulent recordkeeping;
- Pilot certification;
- US Customs, Transportation Security Administration, Department of Defense, and Occupational Health and Safety Administration matters;
- Drug and alcohol issues; and
- Hazardous materials (HAZMAT) proceedings.
We also have engaged extensively in appellate work on a variety of administrative agency decisions, including mounting legal challenges to rulemakings and appeals to the National Transportation Safety Board. In addition, we have successfully represented clients in litigation against agencies in a -variety of matters, including airport access issues and operational authority.