The firm draws upon its nationally renowned Appellate and Supreme Court Practice to deliver excellence to clients. Our lawyers have argued more than 100 cases before the US Supreme Court, as well as numerous matters before the federal and state appellate courts, on a range of issues, including administrative, antitrust, bankruptcy, constitutional, and employment law, preemption and punitive damages. We also have an extensive amicus practice before the US Supreme Court and other appellate courts and regularly brief, argue, and advise on complex legal issues that arise in various trial-level fora.
Representative matters include:
- Successful DC Circuit appeal challenging EPA regulations governing emissions of backup diesel generators.
- Successful defense of state commission rate determination in the state appellate court.
- Handled Illinois Supreme Court regarding state law appeal requiring procurement from proposed clean coal facility.
- Represented small refiner in a series of challenges in the DC Circuit to Renewable Fuel Standard Regulations.
- Represented a coalition of electric power companies in intervening in support of EPA’s Mercury and Air Toxics Standards in the US Supreme Court.
- Extensive work on Exelon’s merger with Pepco Holdings, Inc., both at the agency level and on judicial review, including as co-counsel in opposing the motion for stay and for discovery filed by the Maryland Peoples' Counsel in connection with the Maryland PSC approval of the merger.