Media and Entertainment Transactions
Jenner & Block provides sophisticated transactional services to assist content, media and entertainment companies in achieving their global business objectives. Our attorneys regularly represent industry clients, both public and privately held, in mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions, joint ventures, strategic investments and alliances, public equity and debt securities offerings, and tender offers.
Representative matters handled by our IP Transactions team include:
- Fox Regional Sports Networks: Jenner & Block attorneys routinely advise Fox on strategic joint ventures, rights agreements and related arrangements with professional sports teams, including the development and launch of new regional sports networks.
- Big Ten Network: Jenner & Block attorneys represented Fox Cable Networks in the creation of the Big Ten Network, a 20-year joint venture with an affiliate of the Big Ten Conference. The Big Ten Network is the first collegiate conference sports network to offer a full-time channel to cable systems nationwide, with programming 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
- Gemstar-TV Guide International: Jenner & Block attorneys advised Gemstar-TV Guide International in its acquisition of Aptiv Digital, a developer of interactive programming guide software for television set-top boxes.
- Digital Music Marketplace: Jenner & Block attorneys represented the recording industry in structuring and negotiating formative agreements for the development of the digital music marketplace. These included industry-wide agreements providing frameworks for licensing sound recordings and musical works to digital music services, and individual-company agreements licensing the use of sound recordings and musical compositions in new media products and services.
- National Geographic Channels: Jenner & Block attorneys represent Fox Networks in connection with its joint ventures with the National Geographic Society; those joint ventures own and operate the National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo Wild.
- News Corporation: Jenner & Block attorneys represented News Corporation in an approximately $11 billion transaction involving News Corporation’s buyback of Liberty Media Corporation’s 16% interest in News Corporation in exchange for cash, News Corporation’s 41% stake in The DIRECTV Group, and three regional sports networks.
- Advanced Technologies for the Intelligence Community: Jenner & Block attorneys regularly represent In-Q-Tel, which is sometimes described as the strategic venture capital fund of the Central Intelligence Agency and broader U.S. Intelligence Community, in negotiating agreements with new portfolio companies. These agreements are intended to adapt and deliver technology solutions to the Intelligence Community in areas such as software, infrastructure, security, and physical and biological technologies.
- Fox Sports Interactive Media: Jenner & Block attorneys represented Fox in its acquisition of Yardbarker, Inc., then the largest network of sports blogs on the web, to complement Fox Sports’ array of websites including FoxSports.com, the websites for Fox Sports’ regional sports networks, Scout Media, and WhatIfSports.com. Our attorneys also represented Fox in its acquisitions of Scout Media and WhatIfSports.com.