Jenner & Block’s Private Wealth Practice offers a holistic approach to private wealth management, with a broad range of tax, estate, business planning and charitable advisory services for high net-worth individuals and families, as well as the family offices, private trust companies, businesses, charitable organizations and trusts that they establish or control. Our practice is interdisciplinary so that each client receives a customized level of service and specific experience. By design, our practice draws upon the firm’s additional strengths in corporate transactions, litigation and investigations, real estate, tax, executive compensation, employment law, family law and aviation and aerospace. In 2019 and 2020, the Chambers High Net Worth guide recognized the practice among the leading private wealth practices in the United States. The guide also included Co-Chair Debra Levin as a leading practitioner in this space.
Chaired by two of the profession’s highest-caliber lawyers with many years of combined experience, the team acts as trusted advisers to clients whose personal planning is interwoven with their business concerns. Under this leadership, the practice is focused on providing strategic counsel in wealth transfer and business succession planning, including estate planning, philanthropy and trust and estate administration. Our lawyers regularly:
- Provide estate planning and administration services, focusing on wealth transfer, stewardship and succession planning in a tax-efficient manner. We work with clients to design and implement estate plans through the use of wills, trusts, lifetime gifts and other wealth protection planning tools, and we represent fiduciaries (executors and trustees) and beneficiaries in estate and trust administration.
- Provide corporate and business services, including family office formation and operation, shareholder agreements, buy-sell agreements, fund formation, corporate recapitalizations, intra-family sales, mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, limited liability companies and general corporate governance to align business and personal planning.
- Advise on the formation and administration of private trust companies.
- Advise on exempt organizations and charitable planning, including tax, governance and organizational matters relating to private foundations or other not-for-profit organizations created by families or companies, as well as planned gifts to public charities.
- Advise on the complex legal, financial and business aspects of marriage and divorce by counseling them on all related matters, including pre- and post-marital planning, asset valuation and tracing, executive compensation and benefits, tax planning and complex support arrangements.
- Advise on corporate securities matters, including equity investments, initial public offerings, subscription agreements and transactions to raise private capital or return to private ownership.
- Advise on employment and employee benefit matters, including executive compensation, deferred compensation plans, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs) and household staff.
- Provide counsel to businesses and high net-worth individuals on private aircraft matters, including all aspects of equipment purchase, lease and ownership for individual, executive and corporate use; crew training; compliance and enforcement; and program management.
- Represent clients in litigation and dispute resolution matters, including will and trust contests, fiduciary defense, reformation actions, state and federal tax audit and litigation and other general litigation.
- Represent clients in residential and commercial real estate matters, including purchases, sales, leases and other agreements, conservation easements and property-improvement contracts with architects, builders and other parties.