Government Controversies and Public Policy Litigation
REPRESENTATIVE SERVICES AND MATTERS
We offer comprehensive strategic and legal services for companies, organizations and individuals facing the possibility of a major crisis, investigation or intense public scrutiny that could damage reputation, business standing or brand. We advise and represent clients before a wide array of federal and state government actors, and, when necessary, coordinate a strategy that includes communications, legislative and other professionals. Representative matters include:
- Counseling companies and industries in matters before state attorneys general.
- Representing individuals and organizations in congressional and other investigations, including False Claims Act, civil rights, regulatory investigations and investigations by inspectors general.
- Providing confidential strategic counsel on high-risk issues, including instances where board members are subject to public scrutiny, bet-the-company government contracts bids and individuals exposed to potential liability by corporate conduct.
Congressional and Government Investigations
- Represented a news organization in a congressional investigation.
- Represented a health care provider in a congressional investigation.
- Represented entities in a CFTC investigation.
- Represented an individual in an inspector general investigation.
- Represented a large financial institution in a joint federal-state AG investigation related to consumer finance.
- Represented a large financial institution in a multi-state AG investigation into alleged fraud.
- Represented a major company in multi-state AG investigation into false advertising and unfair trade practices.
- Represented a consumer finance company in supervisory review by CFPB.
- Represented consumer finance companies in multi-federal agency investigations related to consumer finance issues.
- Represented a large financial institution in investigation before the United States Trustee Program.
- Represented a large financial institution in investigation by DOJ Criminal Division Fraud Section.
- Represented a private equity firm in international criminal fraud investigation.
- Counseled a private equity firm on FCPA and other legal compliance issues.
- Counseled a company and individual in a major FCPA investigation.
False Claims Act
- Represented a major defense contractor in False Claims Act investigation related to military equipment.
- Represented a health care company in significant False Claims Act investigation.
- Represented a major defense contractor in debarment proceedings.
- Counsel numerous consumer finance companies on compliance issues.
- Counseled a major transportation company on regulatory, contractual negotiation and enforcement matters.
- Counseled a major company on sensitive issue related to board member.
- Represented Delta Airlines/Monroe Refining in challenging the federal EPA Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) regulations administrative and in court.
- Represented a transportation company defending against alleged violations of environmental laws.
- Represented a drug maker in reversing inaction by the DEA.
- Represented a transportation company in administrative challenge to Department of Commerce rules.
- Represented clients in developing legislative strategy.
- Represented clients in developing OFAC compliance programs.
Monitorships and Settlement Administrations
- Appointed monitor to determine Citigroup Inc.’s compliance with consumer relief obligations, valued at $2.5 billion, under its settlement agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice and five states over the sale of residential mortgage securities, including determining the appropriate methodology to validate the credit claimed with respect to different types of consumer relief activities and the types of evidence required to establish each element.
- Appointed Settlement Administrator of an Assurance of Voluntary Compliance (Agreement) between the State of Iowa and Bridgepoint Education, Inc. and Ashford University to review compliance with the terms of the Agreement and provide annual reports to the State.
- Appointed an independent settlement administrator to oversee Education Management Corporation’s compliance with the settlement disclosure and recruiting requirements regarding reforms to its recruiting and enrollment practices.