Legal Malpractice Litigation and Breaches of Fiduciary Duty
Jenner & Block has been retained by law firms from around the country to defend the firms’ most challenging claims. Many of the substantial cases we handle arise from various different substantive practice areas -- including real estate transactions, tax advice, corporate work, patent prosecution and commercial litigation -- and we have achieved success in resolving these matters favorably for our clients.
Examples of our representations include:
- A national law firm in a suit seeking over $80 million in damages for alleged malpractice and fraud arising out of environmental contamination in connection with a large corporate acquisition.
- A national law firm and individual attorneys in civil litigation arising out of alleged breaches of fiduciary duties with respect to real estate developments claimed to be worth in excess of $50 million.
- A large regional law firm in more than 20 related lawsuits brought in six jurisdictions in state and federal courts that sought over $80 million in damages on complex claims of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and novel non-malpractice business torts.
- A large regional law firm in complex professional liability cases brought in state and federal courts by a pension fund, seeking over $150 million in damages.
- A large regional firm in malpractice and securities litigation arising out of the failure of a $2 billion savings and loan institution.
- A large regional law firm in litigation seeking $100 million in damages arising from the alleged usurpation of the opportunity to develop a prominent entertainment complex.
- An international law firm in a lawsuit seeking $15 million in damages for alleged malpractice, fraudulent concealment, negligent infliction of emotional distress, conflicts of interest, and improper billing arising from the firm’s corporate and litigation advice regarding the control of a closely held family company.
- An international law firm in litigation seeking more than $10 million in damages arising out of allegedly negligent documents in the sale of a $130 million company.
- An international law firm in a malpractice action seeking in excess of $10 million arising out of an alleged improper tax shelter, and tax-related trust documents.
- An international law firm in pre-litigation counseling and pre-complaint settlement negotiations in which the plaintiff is seeking in excess of $500 million arising out of alleged improper tax advice.