Environmental and Workplace Health & Safety Law
Representative matters handled by Jenner & Block’s Environmental and Workplace Health & Safety Law Practice include:
- Defense of Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) citizen suit and CERCLA action in federal court brought by owner of former MGP site against Commonwealth Edison, without any finding of liability, following successful cleanup.
- Representing Apex Oil Co. and Petroleum Fuel & Terminal Co. in a breach of contract and cost recovery action, U.S. District Court for Maryland, concerning release from a pipeline purchased from Chevron in 1994.
- Ongoing defense of two cost recovery claims brought against a subsidiary of Tenneco, Inc. under CERCLA at a former oil reprocessing site; currently pending in the Eastern District of New York.
- Successfully defended General Dynamics Corporation in multiple personal injury lawsuits relating to contamination allegedly caused by historical operation in Lake Mary, Florida.
- Defended City of Chicago in injunction litigation relating to alleged nuisance and public health impacts of demolition of buildings and construction for expansion of O’Hare Airport, meeting client’s objective for successful project.
- Lead outside counsel for General Motors Corporation in its precedential bankruptcy proceedings and §363 sale, performing environmental due diligence, assessing environmental liabilities, coordinating with the U.S. Treasury, and working with company personnel to manage complex environmental matters in a newly organized corporate structure.
- Led international environmental due diligence for Archer Daniels Midland’s (ADM) sale of its global chocolate business to Cargill for $440 million and sale of its global cocoa business for $1.3 billion in 2015.
- Serve as national environmental counsel for General Dynamics Corporation, representing the company in multiple Superfund site matters, defending GD in environmental and toxic tort litigation, leading its environmental due diligence efforts in mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and debt offerings, counseling on EHS compliance, supporting investigations of new potential environmental matters, counseling on environmental provisions of real estate leases, and providing other EHS support as required.
- Provided advice to Exelon Corporation regarding compliance with the electric power generation, transmission, and distribution OSHA standard; electric safe work practices for work near overhead lines; excavation requirements relating to the installation and repair of underground utilities; and other standards.
- Represent Advanced Disposal on health and safety matters nationally, providing advice on and defending OSHA, DOJ and Whistleblower investigations and enforcement matters.
Select representative clients:
- Advanced Disposal Services
- Alliance for the Great Lakes
- Apex Oil Company
- Archer Daniels Midland
- Brown Jordan
- City of Chicago
- General Dynamics
- General Dynamics Electric Boat
- General Electric
- General Motors
- Kraft Foods
- Philip Morris
- Rio Tinto
- WEC Energy Group
Recent Blog Posts
Follow Us @JennerBlockEHS
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
"Cost-efficient, effective, and I don’t need to supervise them constantly"
"Knowledgeable and practical"
"Very accessible and accommodating"
"Extremely proactive and budget-conscious"
"Very high-quality work: meticulous and thorough"