- Obtained dismissal at pleading stage of malpractice claims brought by alleged implied in fact client, and successfully defended dismissal on appeal.
- Represented numerous law firms in defense of malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims arising out of business transactions and prior litigation.
- Represented an international law firm in a malpractice action brought by the bankruptcy trustee for the estate of Heller Ehrman LLP.
- Represented an AmLaw 50 firm in a malpractice action arising from probate advice provided by a former partner.
- Represented a law firm in an investigation and defense of claims involving over-billing allegations.
- Successfully defeated motion to disqualify large, international law firm defending motion picture studio and producers of a film in litigation involving defamation and copyright claims.
- Obtained the dismissal of a partner in a large law firm who had been individually named in a fraud action, based on a successful anti-SLAPP motion.
- Represented a law firm in a third-party action in a putative class action involving a high-value real estate transaction.
- Represented numerous law firms in connection with threatened or filed motions to disqualify based on alleged conflicts of interest.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Successfully arbitrated a partnership dispute in which the parties each claimed more than $6 million in damages.
- Trial counsel for a major insurance carrier in a CERCLA action involving tens of millions of dollars in clean-up costs. Won a liability verdict against the US Government in phase one of the trial, and won an allocation award against the government of 40% of future clean-up costs and more than $2 million in past costs in the trial’s second phase.
- Arbitrated a dispute over an “earn-out” provision in a purchase agreement resulting in a $40 million award for a client and successfully defended the arbitral award from collateral attack.
- Represented a commercial landlord in a lease dispute in which the tenant agreed to pay all of the landlord’s alleged damages and attorney’s fees prior to trial.
- Won a summary judgment for an insurance carrier in a published opinion involving novel issues concerning interpretation of a commercial crime fidelity policy (Tesoro Ref. & Mktg. Co. v. Nat’l Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, 96 F.Supp.3d 638 (W.D. Tex. April 7, 2015)) that was recently affirmed by the Fifth Circuit.
- Defended two complex lawsuits alleging fraud and breach of fiduciary duty arising from a joint venture waste-by-rail landfill project.
- First chaired LA County Superior Court breach of contract jury trial in real estate dispute on behalf of plaintiff and cross-defendant, obtaining 12-0 jury verdict. Unanimous jury verdict followed by successful “alter ego” court trial that permitted enforcement of plaintiff’s judgment against certain individuals.
- Second-chaired personal injury action brought against Orange County and obtained seven-figure settlement before verdict.
- Represented an AmLaw 50 firm in a variety of employment-related disputes.
- Defended several putative wage and hour “class” actions, most recently defeating a class certification motion.
- Defended a wide variety of companies in numerous actions alleging sexual harassment and/or discrimination based on disability, pregnancy, race and/or ethnic origin.
- Defended FEHA actions and other claims brought against a company—following a reduction in its workforce—by more than 50 individual plaintiffs in 12 separate lawsuits for alleged discrimination based upon their national origin.
- Represented two plaintiffs in a sexual harassment suit involving high-profile sports figures.
- Prevailed at the trial level and before the California Court of Appeal in a lawsuit alleging claims for discrimination and retaliation. The judgment was affirmed in Fernandez v. Waste, 2005 WL 1090305 (Cal. App. 2d Dist.).
- Represented a multinational corporation in litigation against a studio alleging breach of a product placement contract valued at more than $50 million.
- Represented a film distributor in several separate actions against a major studio arising out of various accounting disputes.
- Defended a film distributor in an action seeking to enjoin a movie release based on allegations of fraud, breach of contract and conspiracy.
- Represented television producers in an “idea submission” case involving significant alleged damages.
- Represented a reality television producer in several separate matters involving disputes with celebrities.