Blockchain and Crypto Assets
- Representing a Swiss foundation associated with a leading blockchain protocol as plaintiff in a nine-figure litigation concerning a crypto asset fund.
- Representing a crypto trading platform in federal and state regulatory inquiries concerning crypto asset lending.
- Representing a crypto fund founder in eight-figure dispute with fund co-founders.
- Advise numerous decentralized finance (DeFi) projects and founders in connection with analysis of US law and regulatory issues.
- Advising an international NFT gaming platform in connection with US legal considerations.
- Representing a crypto payment processing company in connection with licenses to operate in the United States.
- Successfully defended a leading crypto liquidity protocol in a federal securities class action in the Southern District of New York, resulting in dismissal of all claims.
- Represented the founder of a project in a multi-year SEC investigation concerning an initial coin offering (ICO).
Securities and M&A Litigation
- Successfully defended a leading crypto liquidity protocol in federal securities class action in the Southern District of New York, resulting in dismissal of all claims.
- Representing directors and former officer of a biopharma company as plaintiffs in derivative litigation, and as defendants in a federal action alleging violation of securities laws in connection with an acquisition.
- Successfully defended a leading global online marketplace and certain of its senior officers and directors in multiple securities class actions brought under Sections 10(b) and 20(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and Sections 11 and 15 of the Securities Act of 1933. Obtained dismissal of all claims with prejudice, affirmed on appeal.
- Represented an investment management firm as petitioner in an appraisal action concerning valuation of a premier power generation company.
- Advised an entity developing blockchain technology in connection with potential securities litigation and enforcement issues arising out of initial token offerings.
- Successfully defended a leading financial advisory firm in litigation in Delaware Chancery Court arising out of a leveraged buyout.
- Successfully defended underwriters of an initial public offering, obtaining dismissal and favorable settlement of a securities class action asserting claims under Sections 11 and 12 of the Securities Act of 1933.
- Successfully defended former executive officer of an international investment firm against securities fraud claims, obtaining dismissal of all claims.
- Successfully defended directors and officers of a business software company in shareholder class actions and derivative suits, resulting in favorable settlements involving no admissions or financial contribution.
- Successfully defended directors and officers of a financial media company in derivative litigation, resulting in dismissal of all claims.
- Successfully defended executive officer of a reinsurance company in favorable settlement of claims arising under Section 10(b) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and related claims.
- Represented financial advisors in connection with mergers and acquisitions litigation and a US Department of Justice antitrust review.
Government Enforcement and Investigations
- Successfully defended a former executive officer of an investment firm in high-profile SEC enforcement action brought in federal court arising out of suspected violations of the FCPA, Investment Advisers Act, and other laws. Obtained dismissal of all claims with prejudice.
- Represented one of the world's leading credit rating agencies in multiple overlapping state and federal investigations arising out of its ratings of structured finance securities before the financial crisis, and in a multi-billion dollar lawsuit brought by the State of California alleging violations of the California False Claims Act and unfair competition laws.
- Represented a special committee of the board of directors of a solar energy company in response to an SEC investigation concerning suspected violation of securities laws, resulting in termination of the investigation without further action.
- Represented a mortgage originator and servicer in litigation brought by a state attorney general alleging unfair and discriminatory lending practices and seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented a global semiconductor company in connection with SEC investigation into suspected accounting and disclosure violations.
- Represented a global technology company in connection with SEC enforcement action concerning alleged insider trading.
- Represented officers and employees of a leading U.S. bank in connection with government investigations into LIBOR submissions.
- Represented officers and employees of a leading international bank in connection with an investigation into compliance with laws concerning U.S. taxpayers.
- Represented a Fortune 500 corporation in an internal investigation into alleged accounting irregularities.
Commercial and Employment Disputes
- Successfully represented YuppTV USA, Inc., one of the world’s largest internet-based TV and On-demand service providers for South Asian content, in obtaining emergency relief as a third party intervenor in a dispute between Dish Network LLC, et al. and Asia TV USA Ltd. in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. The temporary restraining order barred Asia TV USA Ltd. from terminating its Distribution Agreement or otherwise ceasing transmission of its television channels to our client.
- Represented a global media company in litigation concerning the termination of a joint venture.
- Represented a fashion label in arbitration concerning termination of a licensing agreement.
- Represented a home furnishings company in arbitration concerning valuation of an acquisition.
- Represented a hedge fund manager in disputes arising out of employment and separation agreements.
- Represented the founder and major shareholder of a technology company in corporate control and governance disputes.
- Represented an artist in property loss and business interruption case.
- Represented a major cable company in licensing and copyright disputes with networks and network affiliates.
- Advised a foreign financial services organization concerning jurisdiction and arbitration in connection with providing financing to foreign central bank.
- Advised a global gaming company in connection with contract and licensing disputes concerning an online gaming platform.
- Represented a global power company in connection with a dispute arising out of its purchase of foreign operating companies.
- Represented a global energy company and four affiliated debtors in Chapter 11 cases, including in connection with significant environmental remediation obligations and litigation liabilities arising out of various oil- and gas-related interests.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of a Texas power company and its affiliates, in what was one of the ten largest bankruptcies in US history with the debtors holding approximately $40 billion in debt.
- Represented a leading mortgage originator and servicer in connection with contested matters concerning billions of dollars of residential mortgage-backed securities claims, as part of its Chapter 11 proceedings, the largest bankruptcy filing of 2012.
- Work as a volunteer attorney as part of the National Women’s Law Center Fund, LLC’s TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund to advise victims facing threatened claims for defamation.
- Advised an international organization committed to enabling great documentary films, in connection with assessing legal risks and navigating potential disputes.
- Successfully defended a freelance journalist against defamation and related tort claims brought by a former Mexican official arising out of a Forbes article titled, “Top 10 Most Corrupt Mexicans of 2013.”
- Represented a class of prisoners in litigation that resulted in a landmark settlement reforming the use of solitary confinement in New York prisons.
- Successfully represented a mentally incompetent prisoner, securing Ninth Circuit reversal of the district court in precedent-setting opinion clarifying the duties of district courts to incompetent litigants.