Katya Jestin is co-managing partner of the firm and a member of the Investigations, Compliance and Defense Practice. She counsels companies and executives in criminal, regulatory and congressional investigations, including representing clients before the US Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York State Attorney General’s Office, and the US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. Ms. Jestin also conducts sensitive internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients and counsels senior management and boards of directors on matters ranging from global compliance risk to #MeToo. Ms. Jestin served as counsel to the examiner in the Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy examination.
Ms. Jestin’s recent engagements include:
Defending traders in multiple federal investigations of alleged market manipulation.
- Representing individuals in connection with the investigation and prosecution of foreign exchange (FX) trading activities in the EDNY.
- Leading an investigation for a large tech company, and representing the company in a federal grand jury investigation.
- Investigating sexual misconduct allegations at an international independent school, producing a report for the Board of Directors, and advising on policy reform.
- Leading an investigation for a large private university, and representing the university in an SDNY grand jury fraud investigation.
- Representing an international law firm in a government fraud investigation resulting in no charges.
- Serving as part of the team representing General Motors in an investigation by the SDNY, culminating in a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Representing an originator in a Department of Justice FIRREA investigation.
- Representing executives of global financial institutions in connection with multiple federal and state money laundering and OFAC investigations.
- Defending a hedge fund CFO in the SDNY and before the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Representing executives before the United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations in a money laundering and terrorist financing investigation.
- Defending financial institution executives in connection with a Department of Justice probe into municipal bond bid rigging practices.
- Pro bono representation of indicted individuals in the SDNY, including obtaining a complete dismissal of all charges against one defendant.
Ms. Jestin serves on the firm’s Policy Committee and is co-chair of the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Ms. Jestin joined Jenner & Block after serving as an Assistant United States Attorney and supervisor in the Criminal Division of the Eastern District of New York, where she was involved in investigations, prosecutions and trials involving fraud, money laundering and other white collar offenses. She successfully prosecuted the leadership of three of the five La Cosa Nostra organized crime families. She was co-counsel in the RICO prosecution of Gambino boss Peter Gotti and 16 co-defendants for labor racketeering, fraud and corruption, resulting in the conviction of all defendants. Ms. Jestin also served as a state prosecutor, and prosecuted, among other things, domestic violence and sex crimes.
In 2020, Crain’s New York Business selected Ms. Jestin for its 4th annual Notable Women in Law list. She is also the recipient of the Department of Justice Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney and was recognized among the top women in investigations by Global Investigation Review (GIR) in 2015.
Since joining the firm, Ms. Jestin has been awarded the 2012 Associates Committee Mentoring Award and the 2012 Albert E. Jenner Pro Bono Award.