Jan A. Larson is a Partner in the Complex Commercial Litigation Practice and the Insurance Recovery and Counseling Practice. As part of her complex commercial practice, Ms. Larson routinely works with corporate clients facing large-scale government investigations and inquiries at the state or federal level to respond to the government’s inquiries and advocate before government enforcement agencies. She also conducts internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients concerning a variety of issues. As part of her insurance recovery practice, Ms. Larson has broad experience representing corporate policyholders nationwide in complex litigation with their insurers involving a variety of insurance claims. She also counsels corporate policyholders with respect to insurance coverage placement and renewals and has completed numerous in-depth portfolio reviews.
A selection of some of Ms. Larson’s representative matters include the following:
- Representing various companies in response to confidential investigations initiated by a variety of government entities, including the Department of Justice, the Federal Communications Commission, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Representing various companies in connection with sensitive internal investigations, sometimes in connection with a corresponding investigation by a government entity.
- Negotiating a $400 million insurance settlement on behalf of a nuclear energy industry client that had experienced an accidental outage and associated business interruption and property damage losses.
- Securing a significant appellate decision from the Third Circuit that vacated the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania’s unfavorable interpretation of the term “the insured” in an Employer’s Liability Exclusion, in connection with a claim against the insured brought by the employee of a different insured.
- Obtaining a notable ruling of first impression under Massachusetts law, rejecting the application of an insurer’s Absolute Pollution Exclusion to Chinese drywall claims. Publications such as Law360 and Mealey’s later named the ruling one of the year’s most significant pollution exclusion decisions.
- Providing in-depth cyber insurance analysis and advice to clients in industries including manufacturing, transportation, and financial services.
- Counseling various clients in “sharing economy” industries on a diverse array of cutting-edge insurance issues, including in-depth analyses of these clients’ insurance portfolios.
Ms. Larson has been recognized as a Washington, DC Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Insurance Coverage every year since 2013, and in 2017, was also named a Legal 500 “Next Generation Lawyer” in Insurance: Advice to Policyholders.
Over the past several years, Ms. Larson has been instrumental in launching and leading Jenner & Block's Insurance Law Update, a monthly publication of the firm’s Insurance Recovery and Counseling Practice, as well as contributing insurance-related pieces to the Litigation Department’s Spotlight publication. She is also a frequent author and speaker on insurance trends in publications and at conferences nationwide. In addition, Ms. Larson has had active leadership roles in several bar associations, including the American Bar Association’s Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee where she serves as Co-Chair of the Women in Insurance Network Sub-Committee, and the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia where she served as Co-Chair of the Insurance Law Forum.
Ms. Larson is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and in the District of Columbia. She received her A.B. in 2003 from Bowdoin College and her J.D. in 2008 from The George Washington University Law School, where she served as president of both the Mock Trial Board and the Law Association for Women.