Andrew F. Merrick is a first-chair, trial lawyer who represents companies and individuals in a broad range of business disputes involving a variety of substantive legal areas, including breach of contract, deceptive trade practices and other business torts, trade secret misappropriation, and claims arising under the UCC. Illinois Super Lawyers’ 2019 named Mr. Merrick among the “top 5 percent of attorneys in the state” in the area of Business Litigation.
Mr. Merrick has significant first- and second-chair trial experience, has served as lead counsel in multiple federal jury trials, and is a member of the Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois. He represents clients in a variety of industries, including aerospace, energy, financial services, food and beverage, government contracts, hospitality, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, real estate and construction, technology, and transportation. He has tried cases involving claims for breach of contract, deceptive trade practices, fraud, trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference with contract, antitrust violations, and unfair competition, among others.
Recent trials include:
- Serving as lead counsel in a $60 million commercial dispute involving claims for breach of contract, tortious interference with contract, and antitrust violations;
- Serving as lead counsel in a one-week arbitration hearing involving a $20 million licensing dispute between two technology firms;
- Successfully defending an aerospace manufacturer in a $20 million arbitration hearing in New York involving claims of breach of contract and fraud;
- Serving as co-lead counsel in a $50 million, four-week trial in Florida state court involving claims of trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract;
- Successfully defending an original equipment manufacturer in a $20 million breach of contract action in Georgia.
Mr. Merrick has particular experience representing clients in domestic and international arbitration forums, having tried more than a dozen commercial arbitration cases. He also served as the Chairman of the arbitration committee for the Chicago Bar Association, and regularly presents on issues relating to commercial arbitration and trial planning and practice.
Mr. Merrick maintains an active pro bono practice. He has devoted more than 2,000 hours to representing indigent clients on a pro bono basis since joining Jenner & Block in 2006. He has successfully defended a client charged with first-degree murder, obtained asylum for a young woman who was the victim of gender violence in Tanzania, and successfully resolved claims of excessive force against law enforcement.
Mr. Merrick also gives back through community service. He currently serves as a member of the board of directors and general counsel for Compass to Care, a childhood cancer foundation that provides financial assistance to low income families with children undergoing cancer treatment. He also serves as a member of the board of directors for CARPLS, which is Cook County’s largest legal aid organization. In 2016, Mr. Merrick received the prestigious Maurice Weigle Exceptional Young Lawyer Award from the Chicago Bar Foundation for his commitment to pro bono, community service, and the organized bar.