Representative matters of Mr. Alsarraf’s include:
- Representing a utilities company in high-profile civil RICO and fraud suits in federal and state court concerning legislation allegedly obtained through bribery.
- Representing an affiliate of a Fortune 500 company in its lengthy high-profile civil RICO, fraud, and breach of contract trial in the Southern District of New York against an originator of life settlements, which resulted in a successful settlement and was recognized by Benchmark Litigation as its “Impact Case of the Year” in 2016.*
- Representing a high-profile foreign individual in US civil litigation against persons who had attempted to kill him.
- Advising Facebook on the composition of the Oversight Board for Content Decisions, specifically as it relates to actual or perceived conflicts of interest of board member candidates, and on other content-related matters.
- Successfully obtaining dismissal with prejudice of malpractice and related claims asserted against an international law firm and several of its lawyers concerning the firm’s handling of certain transactional matters.
- Representing the victim of a terrorist act in US civil litigation against financial institutions for materially supporting terrorism.
- Representing a prominent CLO fund manager in various litigations in multiple jurisdictions, including a successful defense against an SEC fraud action seeking disgorgement of over $200 million, in which all charges were dismissed following a three-week trial before an SEC Administrative Law Judge.*
- Representing a telecommunications company in an ICSID arbitration regarding the expropriation of the company’s investment in the telecommunications sector of a country in the Middle East.*
- Successfully defending an affiliate of a Fortune 500 company against misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of confidentiality claims seeking over a billion dollars in damages, securing plaintiffs’ dismissal of action with prejudice.*
- Successfully defending a New York not-for-profit organization, winning the return of $10 million seized by the New York Attorney General and ending NYAG’s investigation.*
Mr. Alsarraf’s pro bono matters include:
- Successfully obtaining two temporary restraining orders and a preliminary injunction against the City of New York on behalf of homeless New Yorkers in connection with the City’s movement of homeless residents from its de-densification hotel network to congregate shelters.
- Successfully petitioning the Governor of Illinois to grant an incarcerated individual clemency.
- Successfully obtaining a settlement on behalf of an incarcerated individual in a Religious Freedom Restoration Act lawsuit against federal prison officials who had infringed on his religious rights.*
- Representing the estate of a deceased individual and her husband in a civil lawsuit against Wexford and prison health professionals for their medical malpractice and deliberate indifference to her medical needs for failing to timely diagnose and treat her cancer.
- Arguing before the Seventh Circuit in support of an appeal of a Board of Immigration Appeals denial of asylum, withholding of removal, and Convention Against Torture applications.*
- Representing an Iraqi national who worked with the US mission in Iraq in applications for a Special Immigrant Visa and refugee resettlement.
- Arguing in an amicus brief that the Board of Immigration Appeals should construe the term “minor” to include individuals up to 21 years of age.*
- Arguing in an amicus brief that the U.S. Supreme Court should grant a petition for writ of certiorari seeking to challenge a Sixth Circuit decision concerning the proposed execution method to carry out the death penalty in Ohio.
*indicates representation occurred prior to joining Jenner & Block