Jenner & Block maintained a strong presence at the ABA 2013 Annual Meeting in San Francisco on August 8-13, with many firm members participating in a range of meetings and events:
- Partner Joseph G. Bisceglia, a member of the ABA House of Delegates as the elected representative of the Illinois State Bar Association to the ABA House from Cook County, attended the two-day session of the ABA House on August 12-13. He participated in meetings on issues of importance with the other ABA House delegates from Illinois leading up to and during the House of Delegates meeting.
- Partner Jerry J. Burgdoerfer, an active participant in the Federal Regulation of Securities Committee and its subcommittees, met with the Joint Task Force on Governance Issues in Business Combinations. The Task Force is preparing a treatise on Governance Issues in Business Combinations, and Jerry is a co-author of one of the chapters.
- Partner Daniel E. Chudd attended in his role on the Council of the Section of Public Contract Law and participated in meetings on issues concerning the Section and its plans for 2013-2014.
- Partner Carter H. Klein chaired the joint meeting of the UCC Payments Law and Electronic Banking Subcommittee with Rob Hunter of The Clearing House and Subcommittee Vice-Chair Joe Torregrossa of the New York Federal Reserve Bank Law Department. At the meeting, Prof. Benjamin Geva of Osgood Hall Law School and a partner at Torys, spoke on mobile payments. The Subcommittee met on August 10. Carter also spoke on “pay and walk” clauses in bank guarantees and on two recent cases during the Letter of Credit Subcommittee meeting on August 11.
- Partner Wesley C. Fredericks, Jr. attended in his role as past chairman of the Business Law Section’s International Business Law Committee and previously of that Committee’s Subcommittee on Multinational Mergers & Acquisitions. He was recognized for his work with the Committee at its dinner on August 8. On August 9, he participated in an advisory role in the Committee-wide annual meeting and on a Committee CLE program.
- Partner Lorelie S. Masters, attending as a member of the Section of Litigation, officially began her two-year term as the Section’s Publication and Content Officer. She also attended in her role as a member of 2012-2013 President Laurel Bellows’ Gender Equity Task Force.
- Partner Lawrence S. Schaner spoke during a session called “International Arbitration Advocacy: Hidden Challenges and Opportunities for U.S. Litigators” on August 9.
- Partner Paul M. Smith attended the House of Delegates meeting as a representative of the DC Bar.
- Associate Marisa K. Perry spoke during a panel on “Effective Presentation of Damages in Litigation” on August 11.