Jenner & Block is proud of its 2018 pro bono results:
A History of Pro Bono and Public Service: 1960sLitigation with Committee on Un-American Activities
Thomas P. Sullivan and Albert E. Jenner, Jr. represented clients in a historic confrontation and extended civil and criminal litigation with the US House of Representatives Committee on Un-American Activities. The committee was later abolished in large part due to these proceedings.
A History of Pro Bono and Public Service: 1960sSenior Counsel to Warren Commission
Albert E. Jenner, Jr. held various prominent public service positions throughout his long career. Among other things, he served as senior counsel to the Warren Commission that was created to investigate the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
A History of Pro Bono and Public Service: 1950sStart of Pro Bono at Jenner & Block
Thomas P. Sullivan, Prentice H. Marshall and Jerold S. Solovy launched the firm’s commitment to the defense of indigent criminal defendants in the 1950s. All three lawyers joined, and Mr. Sullivan later chaired, the Chicago Bar Association Defense of Prisoners Committee. They not only represented indigent criminal defendants, but they also began recruiting dozens of other Jenner & Block lawyers to the same service. From this, the firm’s nationally recognized pro bono program evolved.
A History of Pro Bono and Public Service: 1940sAlbert E. Jenner, youngest president of the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
Albert E. Jenner, Jr. joined the firm as an associate in 1935. In 1947 at the age of 40, Mr. Jenner became the youngest president of the ISBA. He was also president of the American College of Trial Lawyers. In 1955, Mr. Jenner’s name was added to the firm name, which ultimately became Jenner & Block in 1969.
A History of Pro Bono and Public Service: 1920sFounder and First Chair of the ABA Antitrust Law Section
Edward R. Johnston, known as the “Chief,” was one of the country’s most prominent antitrust lawyer in the ‘20s. He formed the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association and served as its first chair from 1952-1953. Johnston was made a name partner in 1919, when the firm became Newman, Poppenhusen, Stern & Johnston.
Read the 2010 edition of the of The Heart of the Matter pro bono newsletter